In 2013 people questioned if they needed social media for their business… in 2017 the late adapters are rushing in fast. Social Media for small business is more important than ever. It’s not what platforms you are using, it’s how you differentiate your business. Social Media today is noisy, people have limited tolerance. If you’re not interesting, people click unfollow faster than you can say “like”.
In 2011 the most common rejection we received from small business owners was “but my customers are not on social media” our response – “Are your customers people?” If so, they’re there. The challenge still stands in how to best reach them using your social media for business. The same rules apply, know your customer and then figure out where they spend their online time. Once you have an understanding of where your customers spend their time, the next piece of the puzzle is to understand what they like to see while they spend their precious time on the social media platform of their choice.
How can you connect and “friend” your customers instead of smacking an ad in their face that makes them choose to click the option to unlike or unfollow you? Social Media for small business is more about giving and adding value than ever before.
Erik Qualman as always has some brilliant stats around technology and social media. Some of them astounding.
Did you know:
- “53% of Millenials would rather lose their sense of smell than their technology.”
- “The ROI of social media in your business will still exist in 5 years.”
- “93% of buying decisions are influenced by social media.”
- “Humans now have a shorter attention span than a goldfish.”
- “More people own a mobile device than a toothbrush.”
- “1 in 3 marriages start online”
- “The fastest growing demographic on twitter is grandparents.”
- “Linkedin has lowered it’s age limit to 13”
- “Every second 2 people join linkedin”
Take a moment to tune in to the great video below and consider how your business is using social media effectively to drive the results you desire. Can you add more video, better graphics, give away more gems of wisdom? Can you remove noise in your business from ineffective platforms and spend your time and energy focused in the same place as your customers? It doesn’t pay to try and be everything to everyone in when it comes to effective use of social media for small business.
If you need a hand removing the distraction of social media for your small business, contact us.
Social Media Management Packages start from just $350 AUD per week.